June 1984, Light of Truth – 12.


By now the Sikhs and Sant ji had understood the anti Sikh views of Indian govt and then they decided to do justice themselves. Some courageous Sikh youths gunned down Lala Jagat Narayan near Ludhiana on 09th Sep 1981. At last the patronage of killers of 13 innocent Sikhs had to meet his destiny. He was also playing his indirect part in their safe release.  Lala Jagat Narayan was owner of Hindu press, the central govt and the fanatic Hindu organizations gone mad.

Soon after this incident a Sikh youth Ranjeet Singh assassinated Gurbachan Singh in his house with his gun. He was given highest award by placing him as the Chief Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat  and thus shown their love and honor to him.  The mass murderer met his fate at last.

Sant Jarnail Singh ji was alleged of murders of duo father and son —-Lala Jagat Narayan and Ramesh Chopra but it couldn’t be proved and he was acquitted soon in lack of any witness. He was earlier arrested on these allegations from his traditional Gurudwara of Damdami Taksal at Chowk Mehta but Police had to release him soon. There was uproar in Panjab on his arrest.  The atrocities against Sikhs had thus begun by firing at Chowk Mehta in which many Sikh youths were gunned down by Police.

As part of this harassment, three members of Sant Bhindranwale’s Jatha were arrested on fictitious charges on 17 July 1982. When Thara Singh and Amrik Singh sought to get them released, they too were arrested on 19 July. This arrest became the trigger for start of Sant Bhindranwala protest though he had been advised for a complete rest. After ishnaan in the sarovar, at 5 p.m. he sent a Jatha of about fifty volunteers to “sit on the road” in front of the Deputy Commissioner’s residence. They were all arrested. He came to Darbar Sahib that day even though he was very sick.

The Akalis took over the Morcha on 4 August 1980 and gave it the name “Dharm Yudh Morcha”. Akali leaders, along with Sant Bhindranwale, did an Ardaas at Sri Akal Takhat Sahib for victory. In the Ardaas (prayer), they pledged that they would not withdraw the Morcha till the demands contained in the Anandpur Resolution were accepted and that none of them would go and seek compromise with the Government on this issue.

Sant Bhindranwale’s participation in the agitation was with the sole aim of getting Amrik Singh and Thara Singh released. In August 1983, when they were set free, Bhindranwale’s main objective had been achieved. After that the Morcha was entirely for Akali demands. However, problems arose when the Akalis, fearful of Sant’s rising popularity among the Sikh youth, wanted to end the Morcha and negotiated with the Government in violation of their own Ardaas at Siri Akal Takhat Sahib. Sant Bhindranwale was adamantly opposed to this violation. To get over the situation, there were attempts to assassinate the Sant possibly supported by Akalis and/or the Government.

Sant Bhindranwale did support the demands contained in the Anandpur resolution. This resolution demanded a certain amount of autonomy for Punjab and was not a demand for dismemberment of India. The Sant had not even seen the resolution till the middle of 1983. His support was based solely upon his acceptance of the position of the Akali leadership on the issue. He publicly stated many times that he had no political ambitions and that the Akali Dal was the sole representative party for Sikhs. Later, he opposed Akalis’ softening stand regarding the Resolution on the basis that they had said an Ardaas at Siri Akal Takhat Sahib on 4 August 1982 (the day the Dharam Yudh Morcha started) where they had invoked God and Guru’s blessing and vowed not to accept anything less than the resolution. He took the position that having said that Ardaas, it didn’t behoove them as Sikhs to go against their vows. His opposition was never violent. He only told the public that in case the Akalis compromised on their Ardaas, he would let the public know about it and then it would be up to the Sangat to decide what to do.

In our religion, we have been taught that if everything else fails, it is righteous to take the sword. That is Sikh history. It may not be politically correct but this is what a true Sikh is supposed to do. There are thousands of arm chair statesmen and so called experts, but very few put their money where their mouth is. They are scared for their lives. Nobody likes to face the wrath of the powers that be, by speaking the truth. That is a fact. Bhindranwale was an icon, he fought against injustice and died as a martyr. At the end of the day, as long as the injustice continues, the fight shall continue, that is just history.

Sant Jarnail Singh now had been declared number one enemy of Indira Gandhi and the central govt, on the other side the dharma yudh Morcha started by Sant Longowal was on it’s peak. More then one hundred thousands had been arrested and thousands had been injured in baton charges but their high spirit was continued. Sikhs were looking their future safe by implementing Anandpur resolution only. It was the only reason that this agitation was strengthening in grip to a common ma.  The govt. played a new trick  to get rid of its increasing popularity. So it employed few of it’s trustworthy Punjabi Hindus and deployed them in Police and other para-military forces in guise of a Sikh (Though their religion was not changed). They were given task to kill the innocent Hindus to fail this movement. The only motto was to divide public of Punjab and defamation of Sikhs by failure of this movement,,, a plan to side line Sikhs.

And it happened, many innocent Hindus were killed in moving buses and the killers deliberately shouted Sikh slogans to blame these killings on Sikhs. These killers left behind some signs of their being Sikhs as evidence before their escape in dark.  The indian media too blamed Sikhs without searching any evidence. Thus the Sikhs were unofficially declared enemy of Hindus. This is not any hearsay … but I witnessed it in my family. My one relative (my mother’s brother in relation) narrated me his personal experience. He was a small sized political leader but had approach with high ups. Once he searched a Sikh youth who was whisked away by Sikh extremists but later on he was found in custody of BSF (Border Security Force). The soldiers of this force had picked him up in guise of Sikhs. He had to pay a heavy price (About three hundred thousands during those days) and only he could get him safely released. The Sikh youth and his family migrated from Punjab to other state. My this relative is no more now but he narrated me this true incident.

Tribune newspaper on 11-11-83 printed a report called ‘Discovery of Turbans’ written by Dr. Lalawati & I.S Iyangar thought to believe in this that the passengers “Hindus” were dragged out of the bus and killed was not work of the real Kharku’s (Militants) but work of the non- kharkus who happens to be dressed like Sikhs and were wearing Turbans.  As Darbar Sahib complex was garrisoned along with other Gurudwara’s every person going in and out was searched properly including ration as it was believed that so called Terrorists were hiding in the Darbar Sahib Complex and they would come out and kill innocent Hindus and go back in hiding.  List of 40 Singh’s with proper names was sent to center Govt. and C.R.P, B.S.F & Punjab police along with few intelligence agencies were on the spot to catch these Singh’s but during 18 months of Garrison they failed to arrest or catch EVEN one Singh with so called weapons or Singh’s killing any innocent Hindu.

So now the Question is who were killing these innocent Hindus?  Comrades being revolutionaries yet the ass lickers of the Govt. of India were on the pay roll to provide information of any Singh whom they did not like so for job security they were giving names of innocent Sikh youths who were taken to Police Stations, extorted for money, tortured and eventually killed.  State sponsored Terrorism was at it’s best and to date properties of these Singh’s have been taken over by Police officials and few has been turned into Police Stations or such.  If Govt. of Punjab and Comrades are so pure human being than why human rights organizations were not allowed in Punjab to tell the world truth?  Let’s not forget Shahid Jaswant Singh Khalra a human right’s activist who exposed 25000 deaths of innocents from the cremation grounds by the Punjab Police just in one district of Punjab.  All these boys and their families were extorted for money during repeated arrests, tortured, female members of the family were gang raped, their are living victims who have stated that they were stripped butt naked and were forced to lie down on their father and much more went on and yet these comrades are talking about bringing what revolution with their lies of Kharku’s killing innocent Hindus? Jaswant Singh Khalra revealed how a 3 yrs old boy was also cut open and peppers were stuffed in his wounds and eventually boy died.  And nobody would want to be repeatedly torture to such extend or humiliated so few boys un willingly ran out of their homes and joined the real Kharkus for revenge and gave the hell to the forces of State sponsored terrorism now the deal was handful vs. the whole state funded by A country and they gave the real MATCH for these goons in uniforms. Back to Question how did some of the fake Kharkus that who created them? Sarab Hind Congress i issued a report ‘Conspiracy Exposed’ and was printed in Indian Express dated September 4, 1984 which stated “Pakistani agents disguised as Sikh were trained in Kasur area of Pakistan by brigadier artillery regiment.  These men, in batches of 300 – 400 were given there to four months intensive training.  Most of those trained in these camps & training centers were smugglers, proclaimed offenders and criminals….”  There were other active centers and they were brought in via Rajisthan border.

S.M. Sathananthan Managing editor Transatlantic India on 15-12-83 wrote under article “Hindu-Sikh Conflict in Punjab, causes and cure” in this he writes ‘Sikh leaders claim  that the recent killings of innocent Hindus in the bus, near the border were not committed by the Sikhs, appears to be credible and thought provoking’ May 1985 Magazine Surya on page 42 writes something like this ………….

“Mrs. Gandhi had decided that she was to take on the new role in her life the role of the protector of Hindus…. She had planned that there shall be a conflict between the Hindus & Sikhs, in which the grand strategy was that the Hindus shall be first left unprotected, let them be killed for a while, let them become angry, so angry that they will seek revenge.  The Hindus & Sikhs will then go at each other’s throat.  and then I will tell the Hindus, ‘Look I can only protect you.”

There were few incidents when real Kharkus (Militants) countered fake Kharkus to defame them and they were set to fire alive for doing the evils.  I think there was one incident that real Kharkus’s were hiding close to a village near Batala and nearby house had a wedding and fake Kharkus’s ‘black cats’ landed at the house demanded food and shelter and eventually started to miss-behave with the bride and her brother stepped forward and he was shot down by these agent’s of the Punjab Police at the gun shot real Kharkus moved closer and without any en counter the agent’s gave up and started to beg at this they were brought out of the village given shower with kerosene and set to fire to set an example that who ever will try to defame them with such evil will meet such an end.

Now such false propaganda by few agents of fanatic Hindu organizations forced me to write this and few young singhs have requested to pull out such materials for the sake of humanity to educate the world.

Anyway. Now Sikhs had been declared the extremists. The Sikhs —- once who were known as saviors of women of other religion also, who saved Hindu women/girls and youths from clutches of Muslim invaders were now declared extremists by the descendents of those Hindus in free India.  You may hardly find any such evidence of un-gratefulness and betrayal  by any other community.

Now Indira had begun her dirty game to attack on holiest Darbar Sahib (golden temple). So the Indian army built a replica of parts of Darbar Sahib at Chakrata near Dehra dun (90 kms) which was earlier a hill station before 1962 but to give training to Indian soldiers to fight on high attitude, this hill station was restricted for tourists but converted into army cantt. It’s to be remembered there was not any such political situation had been created in Punjab or at Amritsar before 18 months of the attack in June 1984.  This reveals the dirty bias thoughts in her mind. General S K Sinha has disclosed in his book about training of these soldiers at Chakrata. This general was going to be the next chief of Indian army but when he refused to attack and blow the traditional gurudwara and centuries old religious school —- Damdami taksal at Chowk Mehta,  and replied that by this attack the religious sentiments of Sikh soldiers in Indian army shall hurt and he doesn’t want it.

He was not given the promotion. He had to pay a heavy price as his junior Arun Sridhar Vaidya was given charge of Indian army. He (Genral SK Sinha) resigned in protest. Alas a patriot general was discriminated due to satisfy ego of Indira.

The news of attack in near future on Darbar sahib had been started leak. A Sikh organization warned Indira by their letter written in February 1984 and informed her of it’s far sighted bad results but the stubborn Indira ignored all.


What happened on June 5, 1984

              Edited by SUDESH N. BAJAJ

              Operation Blue Star (June 03 – 06, 1984) was an Indian military operation ordered by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, ostensibly to remove separatists from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

The operation was carried out by Indian army troops with tanks and armored vehicles. Militarily successful, the operation aroused immense controversy, and the government’s justification for the rationale, timing and style of the attack are still under debate.

Operation Bluestar has been listed in India’s Top 10 Political Disgraces by the country’s leading news journal, India Today.

Official reports by the Indian government – for ever notorious for being fraudulent and self-serving – put the number of deaths among the Indian army at 83 and the number of civilian deaths at 492, though independent estimates ran much higher.

  The impact of the military assault, its aftermath and the increased tensions led to assaults on members of the Sikh community within India and uproar amongst Sikhs worldwide. In India, many Sikhs – an elite community in India, leading in every sector, including per capita income, education, role in armed forces, achievements in the arts, sciences and sports, and historically in wrestling independence from the British – resigned from armed and civil administrative office and returned their government awards. 

In retaliation for her crimes and the desecration of The Golden Temple, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her own Sikh bodyguards less than five months later, on Halloween Day – October 31 – 1984.

Indira Gandhi had first asked Lt. Gen. S.K. Sinha, then Vice-Chief of  Indian Army andwho was then slated to succeed as the Army chief, to  prepare a position paper for assault on the Golden Temple. Lt. Gen.  Sinha advised against any such move, given the sacrilegious outlook  from Sikhs and non-Sikhs around the world – the shrine is unique in  the world that it is not only open to people of all faiths, but  revered by all as well.

He suggested the government adopt an alternative solution. A controversial decision was made to replace him immediately with Gen. Arun Sridhar Vaidya as the Chief of the Indian Army.

Gen. Vaidya was assisted by Lt. Gen. K. Sunderjee as Vice-Chief. Operation Blue Star was eventually planned and controlled by them.

On 3 June, a 36-hour curfew was imposed on the state of Punjab with all methods of communication and public travel suspended. Electricity supplies were also interrupted, creating a total blackout and cutting off the state from the rest of India and the world.


Complete censorship was placed on all types of media.

The Indian Army stormed the Golden Temple on the night of 5 June. The forces had full control of the Golden Temple by the morning of 7 June. Bhindranwale, Lt. Gen. Shahbeg Singh and several other militant  leaders were killed in the operation along with several thousand innocent civilians – elderly men and women, as well as children who found themselves trapped inside the temple when the operation began and many were reported as wounded and killed as a result.

The attack by the army was intentionally planned to coincide with a high holiday, the Gurparab commemorating the 17th century martyrdom of Guru Arjan, the Fifth Sikh Teacher, in order to create the optimum number of Sikh casualties and strike terror in the community.

The armed forces, despite the fact that they far outnumbered the occupants of the temple and were armed with tanks, rockets, mortars and the latest in modern warfare, also suffered many casualties.


Throughout the material times, Bhindranwale – who was later branded by the Government media machine as a “terrorist” – was in contact with Indira Gandhi. There is clear evidence that she saw him as, and tried to use him as her puppet against the other Sikh political parties in Punjab, but when he refused to be her instrument against Sikh interests and he protested, she decided to eliminate him.

Bhindranwale had earlier taken refuge in the Golden Temple in April 1980, when he had falsely been named as a suspect in the killing of a government stooge, Gurbachan Nirankari. When Bhindranwale voluntarily offered himself for arrest to the Punjab Police, mysteriously he never was … under direct orders from the Central government.

After he became a credible voice for the legitimate Sikh demands which had been sitting ignored and neglected since 1947, the government saw it fit and opportune to corner him and his colleagues in The Golden Temple complex, so that he could be “dealt with” at will.

Punjab was further seething at this time because of the massacre of a dozen Sikhs during a public protest against the anti-Sikh activities of the Nirankari baba, and the government’s refusal to investigate it and hold the culprits accountable even though evidence had surfaced implicating a direct government involvement in the mischief.

In 1982, Bhindranwale and approximately 200 followers moved into a guest-house called the Guru Nanak Niwas, with the precincts of the Golden Temple. From here, he openly met and was interviewed by international news reporters and television crews over the increasing violence in the Punjab against Sikhs.

British journalists Mark Tully and Satish Jacob, who were at the scene, wrote:

“All … terrorists were known by name to the shopkeepers and the householders who live in the narrow alleys surrounding the Golden Temple … The Punjab police must have known who they were also, but they made no attempt to arrest them …”

Time magazine reported (about Amritsar) that:

“These days it more closely resembles a city of death. Inside the temple compound, fierce Sikh warriors wield submachine guns, guarding against encroachment by government security forces. Outside, the security men keep a nervous vigil …”


Operation Blue Star was launched to silence these Sikh militants who were beginning to become more vociferous over the ongoing human rights violations, from CBS’ 60 MINUTES and his camera crew had personally interviewed Bhindranwale himself and the segment was broadcast around the world.

20:00 hrs – 22:00 hrs

The army began preliminary shelling and destroyed seventeen houses which the police believed Bhindranwale’s followers occupied in the alleys surrounding the Golden Temple. Nearby, a large building housing the Brahmbuta Akhara was destroyed.

Then there were three main towers which rose well above the surrounding buildings, and could be used as excellent observation positions for tracking the movement of Indian troops in the narrow alleys surrounding the temple. The tops of these towers were also destroyed in the preliminary artillery fire.

22:00 hrs – 23:30 hrs

Between 10:00 and 10:30 pm on 5 June, Indian army commandos from 1st Battalion were ordered to run down the steps under the clock tower on to the parikarma (the marbled perimeter surrounding the pool and the Harmandar, the sanctum sanctorum) and move quickly around the edge of the sacred pool to the Akal Takht. As the paratroopers entered the main gateway to the Temple, they were gunned down by light machine-gun fire from both sides of the steps.

The few commandos who did get down the steps were driven back by a barrage of fire from the building on the south side of the pool.

In the control room, a house on the opposite side of the clock-tower, the commanding officer was waiting with two supporting officers to hear confirmation that the commandos had established positions inside the complex.

The few commandos left regrouped in the square outside and reported back. He ordered them to make another attempt. The commandos were then to be followed by the 10th Battalion of the Guards.

This second commando attack managed to neutralize the machine-gun posts on both sides of the steps and get down on to the parikarma. They were followed by the Guards who came under heavy fire and were not able to make any progress. They radioed for permission to fire back at the buildings on the other side of the tank. That would have meant that the Golden Temple itself, which is in the middle of the pool, would have been in the line of fire. Ultimately, the order was given, once reports poured in of heavy casualties from the commander of the Guards.

23:30 hrs – 01:00 hrs

The army requested tanks after an Armoured Personnel Carrier was destroyed by a rocket fired by the Sikhs defending the attack on their temple. The request was granted and seven tanks rolled into the Golden Temple complex. They cleared the ramparts and later assaulted the main temple in order to neutralize the defenders remaining in the structure. The shelling achieved its objective and the primary target of removing militants from the Akal Takht was achieved by 01:00. However, the secondary objective of removing militants from other neighboring structures went on for a further 24 hours.


Independent historians place the figure of those killed at:

Military: 700

Sikh: 5000.

Army ignored destroying shoes from shoe deposit store (Joda-Ghar) where disciples remove their shoes before entring the sanctum sanctorum bare footed. 10,000 unclaimed shoes are evident of their brutal killings as none returned to claim their shoes.

The casualty figures from eye-witness accounts (such as Amnesty International) was much higher.


An unspecified number of Sikh soldiers resigned from positions across India in protest, with some reports of large-scale pitched battles being fought to bring mutineers under control.

The operation also led to the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. The militants took the position that there was no other way of holding a criminal head of state responsible for her heinous crimes, especially since she committed them to consolidate further and enhanced power.

On 31 October 1984, two of her armed Sikh security officers shot her dead.

Anti-Sikh pogroms were triggered by inflammatory statements made by the new Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi (who, oddly became her successor to the “democracy” by the mere merit of being her son) and his political goons, and fanned on by the government controlled media.

The widespread killing of innocent Sikhs, principally in the national capital, New Delhi, but also in other major cities in North India, led to major divisions between the Sikh community and the Indian Government … especially with mounting evidence that political and government leaders had led the mobs and police as well as military authorities had been instructed to stay away.

General A. S. Vaidya, the Chief of Staff of the Indian army during the outrages of Operation Blue Star, was also killed in retaliation in 1986 in Pune by two militants, Harjinder Singh Jinda and Sukhdev Singh Sukha.


The use of artillery in the congested inner city of Amritsar proved deadly and reckless considering many civilians lived near the Golden Temple. The media blackout throughout the Punjab resulted in widespread doubt regarding the official stories and claims.

The operation is criticized on five main grounds: the attack was unnecessary and could easily have been avoided; the choice of time of attack by Government; heavy civilian and military casualties; loss of historical and other property; and allegations of gross human rights violations by the Army personnel.


The attack on the Golden Temple was in plans even before the armed Sikh militants fortified it.

Then GOC of the Indian Army, S.K. Sinha, who was sacked on the eve of the attack for being critical of it, had criticized the Government’s projection of the attack as “last resort”; and stated that the attack was in plans 1 year and 6 months prior to the actual day of attack. S. K. Sinha and Mark Tully report that the army had been rehearsing the attack for this time in the replica of Golden Temple they had built at a secret location near Chakrata Cantonment in the Doon Valley.


The timing of Operation Blue Star coincided with a busy Sikh religious day, commemorating the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev (the same Guru who oversaw the construction of The Golden Temple), and hundreds of thousands of Sikhs from all over the world visit the temple on the days around it.

Historians view the timing and attack by the Indian Army – under pressure from the fundamentalist Hindu lobby which had by then infiltrated the intelligence services of the country – as an attempt to inflict maximum casualties on Sikhs in order to demoralize them. In fact, one of the main reasons for heavy civilian casualty was the choice of the days of operation.

The Sikh community’s anger and suffering was further increased by comments from leading newspaper editors, such as Ramnath Goenka, terming the operation as “A greater victory than the win over Bangladesh, this is the greatest victory of Mrs. Gandhi”.

After the operation, the great Sikh Reference Library located within The Golden Temple was burnt down, but not until the rare books and manuscripts had been looted and removed by the army personnel.

Though identified as being stored at various facilities, the invaluable material is still to be restored to the Sikhs. Sadly, many of the manuscripts – often in single pages – have surfaced in the clandestine antique markets.


Before the attack by the army, a total media blackout was imposed in Punjab. The Times (London) journalist Michael Hamlyn reported that journalists were picked up from their hotels at 5 a.m. in a military bus, taken to the adjoining border of the state of Haryana and “were abandoned there”.

The main towns in Punjab were put under curfew, transportation was banned, news blackout was imposed and Punjab was “cut off from the outside world”.

A group of journalists who later tried to drive into Punjab were stopped at a road block at the Punjab border and were threatened to be shot if they proceeded.

The Indian nationals who worked with the foreign media were also banned.

The press criticized these actions by the Government as an “obvious attempt to attack the temple without the eyes of the foreign press on them”.

The Associated Press correspondent for South Asia, Brahma Chellaney, who somehow managed to stay back and hide in the city, and report the operation, was later threatened and questioned by police.


Brahma Chellaney was the only foreign reporter who managed to stay on in Amritsar despite the media blackout. His dispatches, filed by telex, provided the first non-governmental news reports on the bloody operation in Amritsar. His first dispatch, front-paged by the New York Times, The Times of London and The Guardian, reported early on a death toll of at least about twice of what the authorities had admitted.

According to the dispatch, about 780 militants and civilians and 400 troops had perished in fierce gun battles.

 Mr. Chellaney also reported that “several” suspected Sikh prisoners had been shot with their hands tied behind their backs. The dispatch, after its first paragraph reference to “several” such deaths, specified later that “eight to 10” men had been shot in that fashion.

In that dispatch, Mr. Chellaney interviewed a doctor who said he was picked up by the army and forced to conduct post-mortems despite the fact he had never done any post-mortem examination before.

The number of causalities reported by Mr. Chellaney were far more than government reports, and the Indian government, which disputed his casualty figures, accused him of inflammatory reporting.

The Associated Press stood by the reports and figures, the accuracy of which was also “supported by Indian and other press accounts” according to the Associated Press, as well as reports in The Times and The New York Times.

C.K.C Reddy, an Indian journalist, writes:

“Whole of Punjab and especially the Golden Temple Complex was turned into a murderous mouse trap from where people could neither escape nor could they seek succour of any kind. The way the dead bodies were disposed off adds to the suspicions regarding the number and nature of the casualties. The bodies of the victims of military operation in Punjab were unceremoniously destroyed without any attempt to identify them and hand them over to their relatives. The government, after the operation, on the other hand, did every thing in its power to cover up the excesses of the army action. The most disturbing thing about the entire operation was that a whole mass of men, women, and children were ordered to be killed merely on the suspicion that some terrorists were operating from the Golden Temple and other Gurdwaras.”

Similar accusations of high handedness on the part of the Indian Army and allegations of human rights violation by security forces in Operation Blue Star and subsequent military operations in Punjab has been levelled by Justice V.M. Tarkunde, Mary Anne Weaver, Ram Narayan Kumar, a noted human rights lawyer, Joyce Pettigrew, a Swedish Anthropologist and many others.

The Indian Army responded to such criticism by simply stating that they “answered the call of duty as disciplined, loyal and dedicated members of the Armed Forces of India … our loyalties are to the nation, the armed forces to which we belong, the uniforms we wear and to the troops we command”.

Many other journalists and writers point out that a “wearing out” approach and blockade tactics – often used by the authorities, always with success – could have been resorted to, and the tragedy could easily have been avoided.

More serious questions have surfaced since then, however … and they remain unanswered.

For example:

The involvement of the right-wing and fundamentalist Hindu element in the critical and crucial decision-making processes of the government suggests a concerted agenda to attack the very core of the Sikh community and to eradicate its separate identity and philosophy, thus causing an absorption of it back into the dark recesses of Hinduism -exactly the way Buddhism, Jainism, and to a certain extent, Zorastrianism, had already fared under Hindu hegemony. What role had the Indian State played, and continued to play, in these nefarious matters?http://sikhchic.com/1984/what_happened_on_june_5_1984 


Ajmer Singh Randhawa


One Response to “June 1984, Light of Truth – 12.”

  1. June 1984, Light of Truth – 11. | Voice of Sikh nation Says:

    […] Read next article at https://asrandhawa.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/june-1984-light-of-truth-12/ […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: